|August 2016 - after the second chop|
However when I saw how much it had grown by December 2016, I reconsidered my decision.
|December 2016 - before pruning|
While I knew that the new leader still needed to thicken more, I followed my mentor's advice and cut it back to the third branch to allow it and the two branches growing from it to develop in better proportion. As the leaves were looking rather ragged due to hail damage, I decided to defoliate the tree at the same time.
|December 2016 - after pruning and defoliation|
It soon filled out again.
|February 2017 - before pruning|
A few days ago when I brought it inside to get a photo for this post, I realised that the branch on the right was becoming too dominant so I shortened that one.
|February 2017 - after pruning|
And that I expect will be the last work I do on it for quite some time. Hopefully now the branches will thicken in better proportion.
The two bottom branches on the left will probably be removed at a later date as there is no branch to balance the composition on the right hand side. With the frame that is starting to develop higher up, I suspect that once the tree fattens up, it won't need branches so low down anyway.
The root cutting has finally decided it wants to become another tree.
|February 2017 - base of trunk and root cutting|
With winter approaching I've decided to leave it with its parent tree until early next summer, so the move to a larger pot will have to wait.