Monday 18 March 2019

Positive Results from a Trunk Chop

When I did my most recent air layer on a member of my Ficus Ingens family, I was hoping it would stimulate new growth lower down the trunk. As long as the air layer was attached to the parent tree, however, that never happened.

That's why, despite knowing that Ficus Ingens are tough trees, when I separated them in February I was a bit concerned about the survival of the parent tree which had been reduced to a bare stump. I ended my previous post posing the question :
"After it's stubborn refusal to produce any low branches, will this finally shock it into cooperating, or will it kill the tree?"
 Happily it did the former. The stump is alive and well, with lots of new branches all along the trunk:


In fact in several places the growth pattern of this species led to multiple branches sprouting from one spot.


I had to thin those out or they would have caused ugly bulges on the trunk as they thickened.


After a quick tidy up, the tree looks like this:


There are new buds sprouting near the top of the tree, so I should be able to keep it to its current height - if I choose to do so.

The lowest branch is still there. As the second photo was taken from the opposite side, it's hiding behind the trunk. I'm not making any styling decisions now, but once I see how the tree develops I may remove that branch.

A full progression as well as future updates for this tree can be found here.

The new tree I propagated from the top is doing well too.


It has a couple of new branches along the straight part of the trunk and there are already a few roots growing out of holes in the pond basket.


Pretty good for six weeks' growth!





No comments

Post a Comment