Some of my readers were very critical of the lack of branches and with the benefit of hindsight I probably did remove too many. Regardless, what's done is done, and I had no choice but to move forward with what was left.
Over the last 19 months I've largely allowed this tree to do its own thing, letting the branches grow long, resulting in some significant thickening to the trunk.
|March 2017 - before pruning|
When I have pruned however, I've cut back hard because this tree has nasty thorns and in the limited space I have to keep it, it tends to get caught up in my other trees. My March pruning was particularly dramatic.
|March 2017 - after pruning|
I hadn't planned to prune it again before winter, but its growth over the past month was strong, and some of the upward growth was unnecessary.
|April 2017 - before trim|
While I was trying to organise my greenhouse ahead of winter, I decided to give it one more minor trim.
|April 2017 - after trim|
Here's a 360° view:
Ideally I'd like one or two more branches between the first and second branch.
After the March pruning the tree put out one new branch here:
|Unwanted new growth|
Unfortunately it was in an unsuitable position, so I was forced to remove it. However it gives me hope that a better option will present itself next summer.